Former Manalapan Mayor Andrew Lucas has been convicted of all the charges against him by a federal jury in Trenton, according to a report in The Asbury Park Press.
The jury deliberated for three hours after a two week trial before U.S. District Judge Freda L. Wolfson.
Lucas, 37, is scheduled to be sentenced to federal prison on January 20, 2015. He remains released on $500,000 bail, subject to home confinement and electronic monitoring, according to Matthew Reilly, Deputy Public Affairs Officer of the U.S. Attorney’s Office. Lucas could face over 60 years in prison for his wire fraud, making an illegal monetary transaction, loan application fraud, making false statements to the Internal Revenue Service, aggravated identity theft, obstruction of a grand jury investigation and falsification of records in a federal investigation convictions.
You can’t have everything you want (or need) in ALICE’S New Jersey
1.2 million New Jersey households, including 890,000 households with employed adults (28% of the states population) are not making ends meet, according to a report released by the United Way of Northern New Jersey.
The working poor are dubbed as Asset Limited, Income Constrained and Employed (ALICE) by the UWNNJ. These are families of four earning less than $62,000 and single adults earning less than $28,000…the income levels needed to provide housing, food, child care, health care and transportation in New Jersey according to the report.
The report says that 53% of all jobs in New Jersey pay less than $20 per hour or $40,000 per year.
71% of ALICE households are white. 31% are in the prime wage earning years of 45-64.
85% of New Jersey’s 560 towns have 20% of their population struggling to survive.
The study is based on data through 2012 and does not fully measure the impact that Superstorm Sandy had on New Jersey’s economy.
A 24 year old Wall Township English teacher was charged under a three count indictment this afternoon with Aggravated Sexual Assault, Endangering the Welfare of a Child and Second Degree Sexual Assault. Kalee Warnick is alleged to have conducted a sexual relationship with a 15 year old male student, referred to as J.M in the indictment, between January and July 2013, according to the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office.
If convicted, Warnick faces up to 30 years in prison, lifelong parole and Meghan’s Law registration.
Warnick was arrested in July of 2013, shortly after the relationship was exposed. She was released on $50,000 bail.
The alleged victim’s attorney James Magg said his client had been through a terrible ordeal, according to published reports at the time of Warnick’s arrest last year.
Warnick’s attorney , Alton Kenney, said she plead not guilty, “because she is in fact, not guilty.”
County office is participating in national pilot program
Freeholder John Curley, County Clerk M. Claire French, U.S. Passport Chief Brenda Sprague, Freeholder Director Lillian Burry and Freeholder Tom Arnone at the County Connection in Neptune, August 28, 2014
NEPTUNE, NJ – Chief of the U.S. State Department’s Passport Office, Brenda Sprague, toured the Monmouth County Connection yesterday with County Clerk M. Claire French and the Board of Chosen Freeholders.
“It is an honor for the Monmouth County Connection to be recognized by the U.S. Department of State as a Leading Acceptance facility and chosen to participate in a national pilot program studying customer service,” said Freeholder Director Lillian G. Burry. “The Connection’s enhanced services include extended hours, photo services and walk-in availabilities, which provide the American traveling public with a more convenient, seamless passport application process.”
In April 2014, the U.S. Department of State designated the County Connection as a Leading Acceptance Facility. As a result of this honor, the Monmouth County Connection has been chosen to participate in a customer service-oriented pilot program to help the Department of State better understand customer preferences. Only eight passport acceptance facilities, out of 8,500, were chosen to participate.
Monmouth County Freeholder Director Lillian G. Burry
Amidst a summer awash in bad news, there is a very good news story I’m pleased to share regarding the redevelopment of Fort Monmouth; a topic I am asked about frequently. Since the fort was closed by the U.S. Army in 2005, I have been a member of both public-private agencies, led by the state, that first planned, and is now executing plans to transform the fort into a hub of recreation, commerce, technology, innovation, education, residential and retail use. Tangible results emerged last year and continue to increase this year. More are on the near horizon, bringing jobs, ratables and opportunities for the public to enjoy new open spaces and recreational options within the borders of Eatontown, Oceanport and Tinton Falls.
As the county’s representative, first on the Fort Monmouth Economic Redevelopment Planning Authority (FMERPA) and currently on the Fort Monmouth Economic Revitalization Authority (FMERA), I identified certain facilities and spaces for county use early on. Last year, the Monmouth County Department of Public Works and Engineering took over, refurbished and is now utilizing the fort’s former motor pool, bringing critical services including snow and storm damage removal closer to that region. The county Park System now runs the former teen center and pool, a beautiful facility. Programs initiated there last year have been well-attended and growing. This year, we opened the pool for classes. The reception and attendance have been outstanding. We hope to increase programs at the pool next summer. That’s just the beginning…