Republicans Sheriff Shaun Golden, Surrogate Rosemarie Peters, Freeholder Director Tom Arnone and Deputy Freeholder Director Serena DiMaso
The Monmouth County Republican Organization said that Belmar Mayor Matt Doherty, a candidate for the Democratic nomination for Freeholder in the June 7 primary, is bought and paid for by Trenton lobbyists, Wall Street executives and North Jersey political bosses “seeking to turn Monmouth County Government into their own Hudson County style patronage machine.”
In a press release distributed Monday afternoon, the Monmouth GOP organization said that Doherty’s latest campaign finance report indicates that over 60% of the $98,000 he disclosed the source of came from donors who reside outside of Monmouth County.
Freehold-Monmouth County Superior Court Judge Katie Gummer ruled Wednesday that the new pay to pay ordinance in Belmar, dubbed “Matt’s Law” in honor of Mayor Matt Doherty who the measure would immediately benefit, is not law, has never been law and will not become law unless approved by Belmar voters in a referendum or unless the Court rules otherwise in coming weeks as a suit regarding a protest petition filed under the Falkner Act is further litigated.
For now, Doherty, who is running for Monmouth County Freeholder, and all candidates for office in Belmar are bound by the pay to play ordinances, passed in 2004 and amended in 2005 and 2011 (the current ordinance), that restrict campaign contributions from Belmar vendors, developers, liquor license holders and professionals to $300 and/or require that the office holders to recuse themselves from matters regarding the contributors that come before them.
Where is the $5.4 million that Matt Doherty claimed FEMA gave Belmar for Taylor Pavilion?
Gov Chris Christie and his favorite mayor, Matt Doherty of Belmar, on the boardwalk celebrating Sandy recovery.
The ongoing controversy over the rebuilding of the beach pavilions in Belmar has resulted in yet another law suit filed against the Borough by an activist resident calling for fiscal responsibility and transparency.
Joy DeSanctis filed suit last week against Belmar and Borough Clerk April Claudio in her capacity as Custodian of Records. DeSanctis is not seeking money, other than her legal fees. Rather, she is asking the Court to Order Belmar and Claudio to comply with the Open Public Records Act (OPRA) and provide copies of all correspondence between Belmar and FEMA regarding Superstorm Sandy Funds and correspondence regarding the construction of the pavilions between October 29, 2012 and February 5, 2016, the date that DeSanctis filed her OPRA request.
The Committee of Petitioners to repeal Belmar’s recently passed Ethics Ordinance that would allow Borough elected officials seeking higher office to accept campaign contributions from town vendors, developers, professionals and liquor licensees and accept anonymous contributions under $300 submitted 326 signatures to Borough Clerk April Claudio today, according to Committee Member Katrina Clapsis.
Claudio confirmed the receipt of the petition.
Dubbed “Matt’s Law” by locals because the timing of the Ordinance’s introduction and passage coincided with Mayor Matt Doherty’s announcement that he is running for Monmouth County Freeholder, the measure is now subject to repeal by the Borough Council or a referendum within 40-90 days of the signatures being certified by Claudio. 61 more signatures than need to force a repeal or referendum were submitted, according to Clapsis.
Belmar Mayor Matt Doherty, left, is preparing to face off with Freeholder Director Tom Arnone, right, in the November election. Doherty said the relaxed pay to play law he is set to pass in Belmar has nothing to do with his Freeholder campaign.
The Mayor and Council of Belmar has introduced an ordinance that would remove the current restrictions on the Borough’s liquor license holders, real estate developers, professionals and vendors from contributing to the campaigns of Borough elected officials seeking higher office.
Mayor Matt Doherty told MoreMonmouthMusings that the ordinance has nothing to do with his candidacy for Monmouth County Freeholder.
Doherty announced that he is seeking the Democrat nomination for Freeholder on January 15. The ordinance was introduced on January 19 and is on the agenda for a public hearing and final vote at the Borough Council meeting tonight. Doherty said it will be tabled and another version will be introduced at tonight’s meeting.
Stacey Weathers, 46, of Tinton Falls, was killed on Saturday afternoon, October 3 when a tree fell onto her Mustang Convertible while she was driving southbound on Rt 34 in Colts Neck. Weathers was the executive director of the New Jersey chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, where she helped raise $7 million to support patients and fund cancer research.
Matthew Kleinstein, 20, of Marlboro Township pleaded guilty to Cyber Harrassment and Endangering the Welfare of a Minor. Kleinstein admitted to “sexting” photos of his genitals via text message and SnapChat to four females, ages 11-13, while he was a camp counselor for the Marlboro Recreation Department during the summer of 2014. Kleinstein was sentenced to PTI for a minimum of one year. His criminal record will be expunged if he sucessfully complete’s the program.
BELMAR — Belmar residents should be getting a new pavilion on the boardwalk after voters Tuesday night narrowly approved a bond ordinance to borrow $4.1 million to rebuild what Hurricane Sandy destroyed three years ago. The approval wasn’t without confusion, though. Shortly after borough officials declared victory with a plan they had pushed and modified for… Read the rest of this entry »
The Sperber family hopes to be ‘Home by Summer’ with the help of Belmar’s fundraising efforts
Belmar Mayor Matt Doherty announced yesterday that the fundraising campaign that he launched two weeks ago to assist the remaining two borough families displaced by Superstorm Sandy move back into their homes by this summer has raised $50,000 of it’s $200,000 goal.
The Keefe and Sperber families sustained significant damage to their homes and have seen the last of the state and federal grant money for Sandy relief programs run out while their home repairs continue to be ongoing and unaffordable.
“The response to this effort has been amazing. Support for these two families has flooded in from all over the country. The initial donations are enough to get contractors back working on these homes and more support is coming in every day. We are building the momentum these families need to get back home by summer.” said Mayor Doherty.