Beware of scammers claiming to be from the IRS

monmouth-county-prosecutors-office-sealPhone scammers are targeting local residents with aggressive phone calls claiming that they are from the IRS and threatening jail if the residents don’t pay immediately, according to a statement by the the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office.

The callers take various approaches to extort money by either demanding that funds be paid immediately or in some cases saying that there is a refund due. Whichever tactic the caller uses, the objective is to trick unsuspecting resident to give over private information.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: September 17th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Crime, IRS, Monmouth County, Monmouth County Prosecutor | Tags: , , , , , , , , | No Comments »

Bellew’s Campaign Manager Arraigned, Released Without Bail

Dwayne Horner. photo via facebook

Dwayne Horner. photo via facebook

Dwayne Horner of Little Elm Texas was arraigned in Monmouth County Superior Court on Identity Theft Charges stemming from a 4am robo call purported to be made on behalf of State Senator Joe Kyrillos, Assemblyman Declan O’Scanlon and Assemblywoman Amy Handlin in the early morning of the primary election in the 13th legislative district on June 4, 2013.

Horner was the campaign manager for Leigh-Anne Bellew, Kyrillos’s challenger in the Republican primary.

Horner, 45, was indicted on the fourth degree charge on August 11.  He plead Not Guilty before Superior Court Judge Ronald Lee Reisner.  Horner was released on his own recognizance.

A recording of the call can be heard here.  Horner’s voice can be heard on the voice mail greeting of the Bellew campaign here.

The indictment charges that Horner impersonated another person or organization for the purpose of obtaining a benefit for himself or another or for the purpose of injuring or defrauding another.

If convicted, Horner faces 18 months in prison and a $10,000 fine.  He is represented by Robert Bonney of Lomurro-Davidson.

Posted: September 15th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: 13th Legislative District, Crime, Crime and Punishment, Monmouth County, Monmouth County Court, Monmouth County Prosecutor, News | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , | 1 Comment »

Wall Teacher Indicted On Sexual Assault Charges

Kalee-Warnick-New-York-Daily-News-via-Twitter-e1376895648101A 24 year old Wall Township English teacher was charged under a three count indictment this afternoon with Aggravated Sexual Assault, Endangering the Welfare of a Child and Second Degree Sexual Assault.  Kalee Warnick is alleged to have conducted a sexual relationship with a 15 year old male student, referred to as J.M in the indictment, between January and July 2013, according to the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office.

If convicted, Warnick faces up to 30 years in prison, lifelong parole and Meghan’s Law registration.

Warnick was arrested in July of 2013, shortly after the relationship was exposed. She was released on $50,000 bail.

The alleged victim’s attorney James Magg said his client had been through a terrible ordeal, according to published reports at the time of Warnick’s arrest last year.

Warnick’s attorney , Alton Kenney, said she plead not guilty, “because she is in fact, not guilty.”

Posted: September 5th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Crime, Monmouth County Prosecutor, News, Wall Township | Tags: , , , , , | 5 Comments »

Avon Man Charged in Rumson overdose death

monmouth-county-prosecutors-office-sealMichael Renna, 25 of Avon-by-the Sea, was charged today with the October 2013 overdose death of Christopher L. Pesce, a 25 year old resident of Oxford House, a drug rehabilitation transitional facility located in Rumson.

Renna is charged with one count of first degree Strict Liability for Drug Induced Deaths and one count of third degree Distribution of a Controlled Dangerous.  He was released from the Monmouth County Correctional Institution after posting $210,000 in bail as set by Judge John R. Tassini, according to Monmouth County First Assistant Prosecutor Marc LeMieux.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: August 26th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Crime, Crime and Punishment, Monmouth County, Monmouth County Prosecutor, News | Tags: , , , , , , , , , | Comments Off

Victims of Triple Fatal Freehold Crash Identified

monmouth-county-prosecutors-office-sealThe Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office has identified the three people who died yesterday afternoon in the three vehicle crash on Kozloski Road in Freehold Township. A fourth victim who has not been identified remains in extremely critical condition at a local hospital.

Nicholas J. Dever, 19, of Freehold Borough, was at the wheel of a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta travelling south on Kozloski Road when he lost control of the vehicle before crossing over the centerline of the roadway and into the oncoming northbound travel lanes.

The Volkswagen collided offset head-on with the 2006 Honda Pilot driven by Thomas J. Koller, 50, of Freehold Township, who was traveling in the northbound lanes. As a result of the impact, both vehicles rotated counterclockwise and the Honda lifted and became partially airborne before it collided with the 1994 Toyota Camry driven by a 25-year-old Freehold Borough man. He remains in extremely critical condition at Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Neptune Township.

The passenger in the Volkswagen is identified as Noelle DeLuccio, 20, of Howell. She was pronounced dead at the scene by Assistant Middlesex County Medical Examiner Dr. Diane Karluk.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: August 20th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Freehold, Monmouth County, Monmouth County Prosecutor | Tags: , , , , , , , | 1 Comment »

Investigators Seek Witnesses To Fatal Freehold Crash

Three people are confirmed dead and another is hospitalized in critical condition following a three vehicle crash on Kozloski Rd in Freehold this afternoon.

The identities of the victims are being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

The incident was first reported at 3:47 p.m. today and occurred on the Kosloski Road overpass at Route 33 Business.

Anyone who may have witnessed the crash is urged to call Detective Eric Kerecman, of the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office, at 732-522-8885, or Police Officer Joseph Winowski, of the Freehold Police Department, at 732-462-7908

Posted: August 19th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Monmouth County, Monmouth County Prosecutor, News | Tags: , , | Comments Off

Murder suspect checked in with law enforcement one week after the double murder

Brian R. Farmer's mugshot taken August 6, 2014, one week after the murders of Joan Colbert and Veronica Roach, for which he is accused.

Brian R. Farmer’s mugshot taken August 6, 2014, one week after the murders of Joan Colbert and Veronica Roach, for which he is accused.

The man accused of murdering Joan Colbert and her 10 year old foster daughter, Veronica Roach, in their Long Branch home on July 30, visited the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office one week after the murder occurred, as part of his mandated monitoring as a registered sex offender.

Brian R. Farmer was convicted in 1996 of aggravated assault for engaging in sexual penetration of a 15 year old girl while he was armed with a knife.  Farmer confined the victim and her mother for three days, keeping them tied up.  The victims escaped and Farmer burned down their house, according to the New Jersey State Police Registry of Sex Offenders.

Farmer was arrested early this morning for murders of Colbert and Roach. He was additionally charged with first, second and third degree Endangering  the Welfare of a Child.  Photos of Farmer engaging in a sex act with the 10 year old Roach were found on his phone.

Sex offenders are monitored by the County Prosecutor’s Offices of the county where they reside, according to State Police Information Officer, Trooper Jeff Flynn.  As part of that monitoring, their photos are updated periodically for the Sex Offenders Directory.

Farmer’s most recent mugshot was taken on August 6, 2014, one week after the July 30th murders occurred.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: August 14th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Crime, Crime and Punishment, Law Enforcement, Long Branch, Monmouth County, Monmouth County Correctional Institution, Monmouth County Prosecutor, News | Tags: , , , , , , | 10 Comments »

Arrest is made in Long Branch double murder

Cousin of elder victim is charged

Related: Suspect Checked In With Prosecutors One Week After The Murders

Brian R. Foster, a registered sex offender, was convicted of aggravated assault in 1996

Brian R. Foster, a registered sex offender, was convicted of aggravated assault in 1996

Brian Farmer, 58, of John St in Long Branch has been charged with the strangulation murders of his cousin, Joan Colbert and her 10 year old foster daughter Veronica Roach.  Farmer also faces child pornography charges in connection with the 10 year old girl, according to a statement by the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office.

The Prosecutor’s office has confirmed that the defendant is the the same Brain R.  Farmer, 58 of Long Branch, who is a registered sex offender convicted of aggravated assault in 1996.

A joint investigation by the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office and Long Branch Police Department was launched after Colbert and Roach were found in their first floor apartment at 61 Lippincott Ave. on August 1, 2014.  Long Branch police responded to the home around 5:22 p.m. following a report of suspicious circumstances at the address.

A 13-day investigation revealed Farmer was at the home on July 30, where he was discovered by Colbert taking pornographic photographs of the 10-year-old girl. A confrontation ensued ending with Farmer killing Colbert and the girl. Farmer then fled the scene of his crimes.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: August 14th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Long Branch, Monmouth County Prosecutor, News | Tags: , , , , , , , , | 2 Comments »

Prosecutor: Belmar Did Not Account For Sandy Relief Gift Cards

$2,550 in gift cards remain unredeemed

Doherty: We were in the middle in the worst natural disaster in the history of New Jersey. Taking care of people trumps accounting principles

Mayor says he will ask ShopRite to replace lost cards

Belmar Borough Administrtor Colleen Connelly posing with cash donations. Photo provided by Councilman Jim Bean

Belmar Borough Administrtor Colleen Connelly posing with cash donations. Photo provided by Councilman Jim Bean

The Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office has found that the Borough of Belmar distributed ShopRite gift cards purchased with cash donations in the wake of Super Storm Sandy without following generally accepted accounting principles.

In a letter to Councilman Jim Bean dated July 11, Special Deputy Attorney General/Acting Assistant Prosecutor John Loughrey said,  “There is, however, every indication that the cards were not properly inventoried,  adequately managed or or appropriately secured at any point after they were taken into custody of the Borough of Belmar.”  Loughrey’s letter to Bean can be found here.

Loughrey said there is no evidence that any one person or groups misappropriated the Shoprite gift cards.

The Prosecutor’s Office opened an investigation on January 31, 2014 after Bean discovered a $9,050 discrepancy in reports of how the cards were distributed. In answering OPRA (Open Public Record Act) requests from Bean,  Belmar Elementary School business administrator Loretta Hill reported that the school received $7,950 in gift cards while Borough Clerk April Claudio said that $17,000 in gift cards were given to the school.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: July 29th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Belmar, Matt Doherty, Monmouth County, Monmouth County Prosecutor | Tags: , , , , , , , , | 7 Comments »

Howell man charged with vehicular homicide

Richard Tremblay Jr. Joseph Gonsalves is charged with his death.

Richard Tremblay Jr. Joseph Gonsalves is charged with his death.

Joseph Gonsalves, 20, of Howell Township faces charges of Vehicular Homicide, Driving While Intoxicated, Underage Driving While Intoxicated, Reckless Driving, Speeding and Failure to Maintain Lane, according to an announcement by the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office.   Gonsalves surrendered to the police yesterday and is in custody at the Monmouth County Correctional Institution on $75,000 bail with no cash option as set by Judge Angela White Dalton.

On April 16, shortly after 10 p.m., Ronald Tremblay Jr, 21, also of Howell, was a passenger in the back seat of a car that Gonsalves was driving east on Alexander Ave when the vehicle left the road and struck several trees before coming to rest. Tremblay had head trauma and was found non-responsive in the backseat and died later that night at Kimball Medical Center in Lakewood, according to published reports of the accident.  Another passenger, Brandon Roselli, 21 of Manalapan, suffered minor injuries, as did Tremblay.

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: July 9th, 2014 | Author: | Filed under: Howell, Monmouth County, Monmouth County Prosecutor, News | Tags: , , , , , , , | Comments Off