The 16 year old boy arrested in connection with the shooting in Asbury Park following the 4th of July fireworks on Thursday night did not shoot the two women who were injured in the incident, according to a source within the law enforcement community. The shooter, “a second gun,” is still at large, the source told MMM.
“I can’t confirm that,” Charles Webster, spokesperson for the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office, said in a phone interview. Webster said that the teenaged Asbury Park resident was charged with second degree Unlawful Possession of a Handgun and that additional charges were pending a ballistics report from the State Police. Webster said the boy’s gun was loaded when he was arrested and that he did not know if it had been discharged. A ballistics report takes several weeks, Webster said, unless expedited by the State Police. He said he did not know if an expedited report had been requested.
Two women suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the incident. A 55 year old female employee of a boardwalk business was transported to Jersey Shore University Medical Center for treatment. A 25 year woman who was walking on the boardwalk sustained a minor injury and refused treatment at the scene.
The shooting occurred about 9:58 p.m. on the Asbury Park boardwalk in the area of 1st and Ocean avenues. Manalapan Township Police Officer Kyle Williams was on scene working a security detail for the fireworks display at the time of the incident and arrested the 16 year old who is in custody.
Anyone who feels the need to remain anonymous but has information about a crime can contact Monmouth County Crime Stoppers confidential telephone tip-line by calling 1-800-671-4400; can text “MONMOUTH” plus their tip to 274637; or, they can email a tip via the website at www.monmouthcountycrimestoppers.com. Monmouth County Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for information leading to the arrest of criminals and fugitives.