An Open Letter to the Monmouth County Republican Committee From Chairman John O. Bennett
Dear County Committee Member,
The success of a Republican Chairman in Monmouth County has always been ultimately measured by one thing –Being victorious on the first Tuesday in November!
To that end, during the last two election cycles, we – Vice-Chairwoman Susan Cohen and our hardworking volunteers like you – have helped our countywide candidates score resounding victories that have helped the Monmouth County Republican Party restore its brand as one of the state’s best Republican organizations.
Along the way, we have delivered on every promise made during our campaign two years ago:
1. We returned to the County Convention system for candidate selection.
2. We established a set of by-laws to operate the County Committee with transparency.
3. We have formed a Board of Directors with Regional Republicans to advise the Chairman.
4. We updated the GOP Web Site and opened a full-time GOP Campaign Headquarters.
5. We raised over $500,000 to fund professional campaigns.
6. We made over 585k volunteer phone calls and knocked on 115k doors in 2013 alone
7. We financially assisted targeted municipalities facing control or key elections.
8. We restored the power of “the line” by overwhelmingly winning last year’s primary.
9. We gave the Governor and Lt. Governor one of their largest margins in the State in 2013.
10. We elected candidates who have provided outstanding government to our citizens.
Given the track record of success and growth, many were surprised by Sheriff Golden’s decision to challenge me. In fact, many Republicans have flat-out asked me: “Why are some in our party intent on forcing another divisive Chairman’s fight?”
It’s a great question and here is what I tell them:
“Two years ago, you elected me Chairman in a very close race. During that run, I was the target of repeated negative personal attacks by many of the same people now orchestrating Sheriff Golden’s challenge against me. This is really just an extension of that campaign two years ago. Unfortunately, to some, ambition and self-interest is more important than beating the Democrats in November and delivering good government to the people of Monmouth County.”
Let me be clear, I am not talking about Sheriff Golden. I like Shaun and laud him for his efforts in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. Am I surprised that he is running against me after I worked so tirelessly to help him during his re-election last year? Of course I am, but that’s politics some times.
All of you know that I have been an active Republican in this county for more than thirty years. I’ve made public service a big part of my life and it has been an honor to serve as Chairman of the Monmouth County Republican Party for the past two years.
I am writing you today to ask for your vote for one more term. We have come a long way in two years, but there is still work to be done. My goal is to put the party in a position of strength heading into the Presidential Race in 2016 and the next Gubernatorial in 2017, an then hand it off to the future leader of your choosing who can build on our successes.
Thank you for your time and I would be humbled to earn your vote on June 10th.