fbpx

Jacobson files for Assembly In The 11th

By Art Gallagher

Former Democratic Assemblyman and tri-CityNews publisher Dan Jacobson has filed his petition to run for Assembly in the 11th legislative district as an Independent.

Jacobson’s candidacy creates a five way race for two Assembly seats.  The Republican candidates are incumbents Caroline Casagrande and Mary Pat Angelini.  The Democratic candidates are restaurateur Marilyn Schlossbach and publisher Vin Gopal.

Jacobson said told MMM that his candidacy is not a reflection upon his opponents, but on the process.  “Legislative elections in Monmouth County are stale and rarely competitive,” said Jacobson, “this is an opportunity for me to say my peace in a way that most candidates can’t because they are beholden to their party and special interests.  If I can do that and perhaps make the race more interesting and competitive, that in itself will be a public service.”

Jacobson considers himself a Libertarian on economic and social issues.  He said economic issues are paramount in this race. School vouchers are an example of where he thinks both parties have failed the public.

“What is an more important issue for the poor than educating their children? When I was last ran for the Assembly in 1993 I advocated starting a voucher program in the urban districts and then phasing them in throughout the state.  Since then the Republicans have had control and the Democrats have had control and there has been no improvement with how we educate our kids.”

Public employees unions are another area of government that Jacobson wants to reform.   “It is wrong that unions are collecting mandatory dues from our public employees and using that money for political purposes. Unions should set up PACs and let their members contribute voluntarily is they so choose.”

Of his opponents, only Angelini returned a call for comment.  “Dan is a friend.  I welcome him into the race and look forward to hearing his take on the issues,” said Angelini, ” I think there will be many common themes between us.”

“I don’t understand why he is doing this,” said Monmouth County Democratic Chairman Vic Scudiery, “Dan should worry about his newspaper.”  Scudiery was chairman when Jacobson last served in the Assembly.

Jacobson filed 77 signatures with his petition.  He said he was told that 50 are required.

Posted: June 6th, 2011 | Author: | Filed under: NJ State Legislature | Tags: , , , , , , | 17 Comments »

17 Comments on “Jacobson files for Assembly In The 11th”

1. Freespeaker1976 said at 3:38 pm on June 6th, 2011:

Scudiery’s comments are so self serving. What an embarrassing phoney. He should be doing cartwheels and praying that Jacobson runs a serious race.

OF COURSE he knows why Jacobson is doing this. Jacobson is doing this to help defeat Caroline Cassagrande. Since Jacobson has no chance to win, it would help Scudiery’s party to win a seat.

It doesn’t hurt the Dumbocrats, it hurts Republicans. Jacobson is just having a temper tantrum because he couldn’t run against Sean Kean.

Hopefully, not enough people will take him seriously. But it does bring up a very serious issue, that of how his newspaper will handle campaign ads

Also, is the committee formerly known as CUSK behind this effort? Maybe they are bored after Kean was redistricted out of the area and egged Jacobson on.

2. momwiilto said at 3:45 pm on June 6th, 2011:

Angelini just proved she’s a RINO & an idiot!

3. TR said at 4:28 pm on June 6th, 2011:

Pullleeease,
    Dan has an entertaining paper but he will have ZERO impact on this race.

Maybe 10 democrats 10 republicans and 50 nut jobs will vote for him.

I hope he has fun with it because at least that will spice it up a little.

4. Justified Right said at 5:32 pm on June 6th, 2011:

Art,

What’s the demographics of the new district? More Republican? Democrat? Anyone know?

5. TheDigger said at 5:33 pm on June 6th, 2011:

Sounds like he wants to be a spoiler to hurt the GOP ….just like that “Tea party” candidate did in that upstate NY Congressional District recently.

6. James Hogan said at 5:52 pm on June 6th, 2011:

Is the number really “only” 50? For the party candidate(s), the number was 100 for Assembly.

7. Rick Ambrosia said at 6:30 pm on June 6th, 2011:

Here you go Tommy….

VOTER REGISTRATION NUMBERS
    D – 36,643
    R – 26,405
    U – 68,899

8. James Hogan said at 8:24 pm on June 6th, 2011:

Independent Candidates
    (General Elections)
    Candidates must meet the age, residence and petition signature
    requirements listed below as set forth in the United States Constitution,
    New Jersey Constitution and N.J.S.A. 19:13-5

N.J. General
    Assembly 21 Resident – 2 yrs. Citizen 100 Division of Elections

I’d say if Dan has 77 signatures, he falls a little bit short of getting on the ballot.

I will say this much — if Dan gets to my front door, knocks and politely asks me for a signature to appear on the ballot, he’ll be up to 78. I’m not sure that I support what he stands for nor can I be sure that what he stands for is in my best interests or the best interests of this state, but if he wants to run a campaign and stand up for something, good for him and maybe a majority of the people agree with his platform; just seems he needs to try 30 signatures harder either way.

9. dan jacobson said at 9:46 pm on June 6th, 2011:

Thanks for the encouragement James Hogan! The Secretary of State has advised that it’s 50 signatures. Check the petition for an independent on the Secretary of State website, and you’ll see it there. I also doubled checked it a couple times with the Secretary of State’s office.

10. James Hogan said at 11:07 pm on June 6th, 2011:

Hah. That’s kind of funny Dan. My apologies, I think you may be right, maybe.

Go to http://www.state.nj.us/state/
    Click “Division of Elections”
    Click “Candidate Information”
    Click “Requirements for Independent Candidates in the General Election”
    is the PDF I linked up last – http://www.state.nj.us/state/elections/candidate_pdf/independent-candidate-requirements-110410.pdf

… of course, go look at the petition forms and you’d be right… 50… http://www.state.nj.us/state/elections/petitions/2011-gen-elect-gen-assembly-petition-050211.pdf

I’m too lazy to go browse the US/State Constitution or N.J.S.A. 19:13-5 to look for a number there… curious to know which is most correct now, I’d have to assume we’re going with the 50 at this point? I thought 100 was a bit of a low number… 50 seems almost silly, no offense Dan, you didn’t pick the number…. even US Congress is/was 200, which I thought was, well, dumb.

… I guess this is my Government at work… :/ Is this the same Div of Elections who moved BOE elections to a Wednesday? How the H E Double Hockey Sticks did that happen?

Good luck Dan.

11. barry said at 4:19 am on June 7th, 2011:

I guess this is my Government at work… :/ Is this the same Div of Elections who moved BOE elections to a Wednesday? How the H E Double Hockey Sticks did that happen.

Passover Holiday 4/19-4/26

12. James Hogan said at 7:13 am on June 7th, 2011:

Thanks for biting, barry.

So here is the point — in Neptune, the ACLU wanted to move graduation from it’s usual, 70 year traditional place. We Republicans scream and yell and vow a fight because “you can’t move a public event because of some (non)religious symbolism!”.

Yet, in the State, because it’s the Passover Holiday, we move election day from it’s usual, traditional place — and no one cares and vows that same fight. Where is/was the outrage that we moved a traditional public event, because of some religious reason?

We the People are so inconsistent in our views, and most times I think We don’t even see it, or don’t want to admit it, or want to rationalize it some way. And to make it worse, no one wants to talk about it and rationally explain their own point of view.

13. Justified Right said at 7:50 am on June 7th, 2011:

Thank you Rick.

A 10,000 vote headstart for the Democrats is pretty nice, I would think.

14. Bob said at 7:35 pm on June 7th, 2011:

@momwiito. What did you expect Mary Pat to say? Dan is a friend. Should she lie and say she hates him because he is a Democrat? Mary Pat has class in an arena that scarcely sees a woman of her reputation and morals. Stop the name calling. It makes you look uglier than your words.

15. barry said at 11:45 am on June 8th, 2011:

James

The first amendment expressly provides the individual the free exercise of religion. The election was postponed because the election fell on a day of religious observance that for an observant Jew prevents work on the 1st, 2nd, 7th, and 8 th day of Passover.

16. James Hogan said at 12:39 pm on June 8th, 2011:

Barry, so then the Neptune HS Graduation should be moved because it falls in a place where there are religious symbols to observe?

The question seems simple enough to answer: should the public, government, cater to specific religious groups?

If yes, then are you saying the public, government, should move the HS graduation just as they moved the election because some people don’t observe, and are even offended, by those “religious” symbols?

If no, then are you saying the public, government, should keep the HS graduation where it is and has always been, and should have held elections on Tuesday, as always, because some people don’t observe, and are in fact offended, by the observance of Passover?

OR if yes (again), then doesn’t the owner of the Great Auditorium have the right to freely display their religious symbol, regardless of what the public or some other religion thinks? And if that is the case, ignore other people’s religions and just represent their own and then shouldn’t election day have been on Tuesday, ignore other people’s religions? Or did the US Gov’t adopt the Jewish religion as the official religion recently?

And for that matter, if you are correct and observant Jews can’t work those few days (among others), is voting really “work”? What religious definition to the word “work” was adopted by the state and written into some law that prohibits all voters from “working”, including the act of “voting”? Because one religion’s observers refuse to “work” a few days, does that really mean no one else can “work” that day too?

All I’m saying is that it seems like there are some serious inconsistencies and double standards, let’s talk about them. I know for sure that someone’s feeling are going to be hurt and someone is going to be offended; is it because me/you/they want special treatment and I’m asking to tread on those special treatments or is it because I’m obviously an insensitive, racist idiot for daring to talk about religion, and politics?

17. Don’t Let Dan Jacobson & The Democrats Kid You… | neptunematters said at 8:27 am on June 10th, 2011:

[…] Jacobson Files For Assembly In The 11th NOW As An Independent […]